A prosthesis is a device that helps to compensate for the loss of a missing limb. These artificial devices help in regaining mobility, functionality, and daily life activities.
There are plenty of reasons for the amputation of the limbs. Physical trauma, infections, congenital deformities, and physiological diseases can cause amputation of the limbs.
After a specific period, the physician refers the patients to a prosthetist for measurement and prescription of a suitable prosthesis.
There is a long history of prosthesis use since Egyptian civilizations. In the year 2000, scientists found a mummy of an Egyptian woman with a toe prosthesis.
In today’s age, the prosthesis is going through the most innovative and advanced form of transitions. Robotic limbs and AI-supported artificial devices are continuously replacing the traditional prosthesis. With continuous innovations, patients are now capable of living their lives with maximum comfort with the use of these prostheses.
In this post, we will discuss the advantages of the prosthesis and their use in the daily life of the amputee patient.
Aesthetic appearance of prosthetics
Prosthesis use can make the patients more confident and content because of their aesthetic sense. Our society traumatizes the patients who are suffering from any type of physical disability. So, prosthetics are significant for the aesthetic appearance of the body.
Mobility and support with a prosthesis
A loss of body part can result in the loss of functionality of that part. A prosthetic leg or arm is the best option for any patient who is struggling with limited mobility due to organ loss. For instance, if a person has lost his leg, the base of support for that leg will be lost. In such patients, we will need a prosthetic leg to compensate for the loss of the limb.
With a properly fitted prosthesis or artificial device, the patient can resume the daily life activities according to his needs. Military soldiers who have lost their limbs on the battlefield can restore their duty with the help of prostheses. Sports as swimming, cycling, and running are also resumable with a perfect and suitable prosthesis.
A new approach to life with a prosthetic limb
When a person suffers from a trauma that ends in the loss of the limb, he/she suffers from a psychological shock. With the team collaboration and right attitude of the prosthetic providers, a person’s psychology can shift towards the gratitude and relief.
A prosthesis is making the patients less dependent upon other and other assistive devices. You can indulge in the other activities which you used to love before.
Sometimes, the use of prosthesis can be inconvenient, but you need to look at the bigger perspective of life.
As prosthesis are the vital part of the patient’s life, you must take care of your prosthesis by:
• Remove the prosthesis when you are going to sleep. You must regularly examine the prosthesis to check for its damaged or lost parts. A slight disturbance in the structure of prosthesis can cause falls and fractures of the intact body parts.
• Regularly clean and moisturize the residue part. You must massage your residual limb to prevent scarring and improve the circulation.
• For improving the circulations and reducing swelling, you must use a bandage in the figure of eight over your residual part.
• Inspect your skin regularly and look carefully for any wound and scar. You can also use a focusing mirror for observation of the skin.
• Exercises are vital for the residual limb as these parts are prone to having a muscular weakness. Regularly follow the exercises prescribed by your physical therapist for regaining range of motion and mobility.
• Proper care of the hygiene of your prosthesis is necessary. If you have a dirty device, it can increase the chances of infection as it comes in direct contact with the skin. Regularly clean the prosthesis with water and soap.
• Try to wear clean and dry socks with your prosthesis
A prosthesis is significant for stable support of the body weight. If you take care of your prosthesis, it will help you to live a more comfortable life.